Jul 30, 2012

Andros island | Greece

Recently my uncle gave me his small collection of postcards that he had. Among them I found a dozen postcards from Andros, my favorite Greek island! Most of them seem really old.
 I think this is the oldest. It shows the interior of a house in Alikandros village.
 This second one is a multi view of Andros island.
 This one shows Saint Nicolas and the Navy Club.
And this one shows Theoskepasti and Paraporti Village.

Andros, or Andro (Greek: Άνδρος) is the northernmost island of the Greek Cyclades archipelago, approximately 10 km (6 mi) south east of Euboea, and about 3 km (2 mi) north of Tinos. It is nearly 40 km (25 mi) long, and its greatest breadth is 16 km (10 mi). Its surface is for the most part mountainous, with many fruitful and well-watered valleys. The area is 380 km2 (147 sq mi). The largest towns are Andros (town), Gávrio, Bátsi, and Órmos Korthíou.
The island is famous for its Sariza spring at Apoikia where the water comes out of a lionhead. Palaeopolis, the ancient capital, was built into a steep hillside, and its harbor's breakwater can still be seen underwater. [wikipedia]

As I have said before, Andros is the perfect place for vacations. There you will find the most beautiful beaches you have ever seen and the most hospitable people!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I would like to do a postcard swap, i would have PM-ed you but i can't seem to find the right button on this page x|
    Anyway, my email id: mnjshmthh@gmail.com
    Email me if you are interested, i am from India.
    I shall send you my address, please send me yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there :D I would love to swap with you and I have some UNESCO that you want :D Please contact me on my blog or facebook: http://postcard-travel-guide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete